Baby cos salad with apple and fennel is such a pretty salad to serve as a side dish for your Christmas in July dinner. The leaves of the baby cos work well laid out onto a flat plate so that you can see the shaved apple slices with their star-shaped centres and red edges. I like to whisk the dressing in a large bowl and then dress the leaves before turning them onto the plate as it seems to coat the leaves better, but feel free to leave this step out if you don’t fancy extra washing up. To achieve the best result with the apple and the fennel, you will need a mandoline, but mind you don’t shave your fingers as well. It hurts!
I’ve added walnuts to this salad, but you could substitute with toasted almonds or hazelnuts if you prefer. Similarly, why not try a different cheese? I’ve chosen a chevre (goat’s cheese) with ash from Meredith Dairy https://meredithdairy.com. However, a blue cheese such as stilton, or gorgonzola dolce is also delicious.
Salads are my favourite dishes to make. If you like interesting combinations of ingredients too, you might like to to try making this pear and rocket salad with avocado, parmesan and fried shallots
Baby Cos Salad with Apple and Fennel
- 2 baby cos lettuces, their leaves separated and washed substitute with mixed leaves
- 1 red apple, washed and shaved transversely, through the core I used a Pink Lady apple
- 1 small fennel bulb, outer leaves discarded, washed and shave transversely
- 1/2 bunch chives, washed and cut finely with kitchen scissors
- 1/2 cup walnut halves substitute with toasted almonds or hazelnuts
- 50 g chevre (goat's cheese) with ash I used Meredith Dairy Jacquin Chevre Ash
Honey Dijon Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in large bowl and toss the leaves and the chives in with the dressing.
- Pour the leaves out onto a large flat plate.
- Add the shaved apple and fennel, gently incorporating them within the leaves.
- Add chevre, again, incorporating it within the leaves.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Serve immediately.