Carrot, date and ginger jam goes beautifully with honey cashew cream, smeared on top of spelt buttermilk scones. It’s also a delicious addition to a cheese platter. After a bit of chopping and grating (mind your knuckles when you grate), the ingredients pretty well look after themselves with an occasional stir in the pan. The beauty of this condiment is that it can be made in advance, and it will easily keep in the the fridge for up to a week. You might like to try using different dried fruits, such as figs, cranberries or pears.
Serve the carrot, date and ginger jam with Spelt Buttermilk Scones with Cashew Cream
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Carrot, Date and Ginger Jam
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 carrot, washed and grated (about 200 g)
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 orange I used a blood orange
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar
- flaked sea salt
- Peel the orange with a vegetable peeler in long strips, then set aside.
- Juice the orange. Soak the dates in the orange juice while you cook the onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frypan or wide-based saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5- 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the grated ginger and stir for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the dates and orange juice and stir well to dislodge any grated ginger from the pan.
- Add the grated carrots, orange peel, honey, apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. Stir everything together and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, over a low to medium heat until it reaches a thick, jammy consistency, about 20 minutes. Remove the orange peel.
- Cool and store in a sealed container in the fridge.