Celery, fennel and nectarine salad is a really pretty summer dish to serve on its own, or with grilled fish or meat.I love the combination of the crisp celery, fresh herbs and juicy nectarine slices, together with the toasted pistachios. Slice the fennel and celery as thinly as you can. I like to use a mandolin for the fennel. This salad is best made just before serving, although you can prepare the dressing and nuts in advance. The salad works well with sliced peaches and plums, too. Serve it on a large flat plate.
We had this for dinner at the weekend with https://atamandastable.com.au/lime-and-oregano-skirt-steak/ and grilled corn on the cob.
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Celery, Fennel and Nectarine Salad
- 1 large fennel bulb reserve the fronds
- 2 long stick of celery (the white part)
- 2 nectarines
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- sea salt and black pepper
- Dry roast the shelled pistachios in a frypan for about 10 minutes until fragant. Set aside to cool, then coarsely chop them.
- Pick the leaves off the fennel bulb, wash and set aside.
- Cut the wordy core out of the bottom of the fennel bulb and discard. Using a mandolin or a large knife, slice the fennel as thinly as you can. Wash and drain the slices and set aside.
- Wash the celery sticks and thinly slice on a diagonal.
- Wash the nectarines and cut into thin slices.
- Arrange the fennel and celery slices on a large plate and then the nectarine slices on top. Drizzle with the dressing.
- Scatter the torn mint and fennel leaves on top, and then the pistachios. Serve immediately.
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside until ready to dress the salad.