There’s very little to this leafy salad with preserved lemon and pomegranate, other than to assemble all the ingredients on a flat plate. It’s full of flavour, with tangy lemon and creamy goat’s cheese, together with sweet pomegranate arils and crunchy walnuts. If your salad leaves are wilted, immerse them in a bath of iced water to freshen them up. Use a mandoline to shave the fennel, but mind you don’t cut your fingers – it’s very sharp (I speak from experience).
Pomegranates are in season at my local market, https://farmerandson.com.au I love to use them in salads and to decorate desserts. The easiest way to remove the arils is to cut the fruit in quarters, submerge them in a bowl of water and turn them inside out, pushing out the arils. This will prevent the crimson juice from splattering all over you. The fibrous parts of the fruit will float to the top. The only dressing required is a drizzle of olive oil. How simple is that?
This salad goes beautifully with the chicken tagine with chickpeas https://atamandastable.com.au/chicken-tagine-with-chickpeas/. Don’t throw out the fennel tops. You can use them to make this green herb sauce: https://atamandastable.com.au/grilled-vegetables-with-celery-salt-and-green-herb-sauce/
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Leafy Salad with Preserved Lemon and Pomegranate
- 3 cups mixed salad leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate, arils removed
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 preserved lemon skin, finely chopped (flesh removed)
- 1/2 cup goat's cheese, cubed I like Meredith Dairy Goat's cheese
- 1 cup walnuts
- olive oil to drizzle on top
- sea salt and black pepper
- Assemble the salad leaves on a large flat plate.
- Use a mandoline to shave the fennel, or a sharp knife to slice it finely.
- To remove the pomegranate arils, quarter the fruit, submerge the quarters in a bowl of water, then turn the quarters inside out to pop out the arils. Scoop out the floating fibrous parts, then drain the arils.
- Scatter the shaved fennel, pomegranate arils, preserved lemon, chopped goat's cheese, orange zest and walnuts on top, season to taste and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.