This pear and rocket salad with avocado, parmesan and fried shallots can be assembled in just few minutes. Red Anjou pears were on display at the growers’ market this week, so I picked up a few to use in the salad. The little strips of red when the pears are sliced look so pretty in the salad against the fresh green rocket leaves and pale yellow shavings of parmesan, and the honey cider vinegar complements the ingredients perfectly. You can make the dressing a few days in advance. Whisk it in a large bowl. This way the rocket leaves will pick up the flavours when you gently toss everything together. I like to turn this salad out onto a large flat plate before serving. If you can’t find fried shallots, substitute with a handful of walnuts crushed in your hand.
Pear and Rocket Salad with Avocado, Parmesan and Fried Shallots
- 3 cups rocket leaves rinsed and dried
- 1 pear washed and sliced finely
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan
- 1 handful fried shallots
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Place the sliced pear in a small bowl with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the rocket leaves and toss through the dressing.
- Assemble the rocket leaves on a large plate, spoon the avocado on top and add the drained pears.
- Sprinkle the parmesan and fried shallots over the salad and serve immediately.
Bring to room temperature before using (or place jar in a cup of hot water to melt the olive oil).
Fried shallots can be found in Asian grocers or large supermarkets.
Substitute shallots with walnuts if you prefer.