I love to make this red coleslaw with apple, cranberries and mint when I’m preparing a meal for a neighbour. It’s a robust salad that can be prepared in advance, and unlike a leaf salad which goes soggy if dressed beforehand, coleslaw will last for at least 24 hours. Many coleslaws have mayonnaise, but I prefer the taste of a vinaigrette. This coleslaw also includes green apple, celery and dried cranberries. Other things you can use are thinly sliced fennel, raisins or sultanas, or pomegranate arils. I love the taste of the fresh mint leaves. If you have any, add some smoked or roasted almonds at the last minute.
Did you know that coleslaw can be traced back to the ancient Romans? https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12570289 I found a recipe of cabbage salad with cumin seeds in ‘Cooking Apicius,’ a collection of Roman recipes compiled by Sally Grainger. The Dutch founders of New York state grew cabbage around the Hudson River. They used it to make koosla, a shredded cabbage salad (kool means cabbage and sla means salad).
Here’s a recipe for another salad which can be prepared ahead: https://atamandastable.com.au/roasted-vegetabl…alad-with-dukkah/
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Red Coleslaw with Apple, Cranberries and Mint
- 1/4 red cabbage, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 sticks celery, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, washed and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 cup mint leaves, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins I use Market Grocer cranberries
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils optional
- 1/4 cup toasted or smoked almonds substitute with walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar substitute with white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- sea salt and black pepper
- For the salad, mix the sliced cabbage, apple, celery, cranberries and mint leaves in a large bowl.
- Toss in the salad dressing.
- If using, sprinkle pomegranate arils and almonds on top.
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and season to taste.