Prawn, mango and avocado salad, to me, is the epitomy of summer. It uses the best of our Aussie summer produce, it requires no cooking, it looks beautiful, and it’s ready in minutes. The salad has a tangy lime dressing with coriander and chilli. If you’re not a fan of chilli, just leave it out. Serve it with lime wedges on the side.
My family enjoyed this salad for dinner at the end of a hot day with a zephyr of a breeze. On days like this, I never feel like standing in front of a stove. We sat outside in our courtyard, with the fragrant frangipani tree in full bloom and the fruit bats flying overhead.
The Essential Ingredients: Prawns, Mangoes and Avocados
I like to use tiger prawns for this salad. In Australia, they are available all year round because they are both wild-caught and raised in aquaculture.
Shepard avocados are in season from February to April. They have a slightly firmer flesh than Hass avocados, which makes them easy to peel and good for slicing for this salad.
I also like to use mangoes which are still firm to the touch, with slightly green skin. They have a tart flavour, which lends itself well to this salad. My favourite variety is the Kensington pride mango.
This prawn, mango and avocado salad makes a beautiful entree, or serve it as a main dish with rice noodles on the side. You can use the same dressing for the rice noodles to keep things simple.
PS: If you’ve tried this Prawn, Mango and Avocado Salad, or any other recipe from At Amanda’s Table, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. And, if you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Prawn, Mango and Avocado Salad
- 20 tiger prawns, peeled
- 2 mangos, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- lime zest
- 1 handful coriander leaves
Chilli Lime Dressing
- 1 long red chilli, deseed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- Arrange the mango and avocado slices on a flat plate plate and then place the prawns on top.
- Drizzle the chilli lime dressing over the salad, then scatter coriander leaves and lime zest on top. Serve with extra lime wedges on the side.
Chilli Lime Dressing
- Whisk all the ingredients together and season to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.