These sugared almonds with mixed spice remind me of my childhood. In the Christmas holidays, my sisters and I put on our best outfits and caught the train into the city with our mum. First visit was the dentist, then Santa Claus, followed by a walk around the city to look at the Christmas windows and the giant trees in the Strand Arcade, the QVB and Martin Place.Pitt Street Mall. We always stopped at the Nut Shop https://www.nutshop.com.au to make a selection for the Christmas table. This shop has been operating as a family-owned business since 1940! I still go there every year to buy treats for the Christmas table.
Sugared almonds with mixed spice are easy to make, and they make lovely gifts, in glass jars or wrapped in little cellophane bags. I love mixed spice, but if you prefer, you can use cinnamon instead. If you’re planning to make a lot of these, I’d recommend buying the nuts in bulk, which will be much cheaper than buying them from the supermarket. https://www.nutsaboutlife.com.au
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Sugared Almonds with Mixed Spice
- 3 cups raw almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 125°C (105°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with paper.
- Mix the sugars, mixed spice and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff peaks form, then stir in the spice mixture.
- Stir the almonds into the spice mixture and spread out the almonds across the tray.
- Cook the almond for one hour, stirring them on the tray a couple of times.
- Allow to cook completely before storing in a jar. The almonds will keep for two weeks.