Watermelon and tomato: the taste of summer
I made this watermelon and tomato salad with feta, mint and pistachios for my first blog post nearly three years ago. It is a firm favourite with the kids, quick and easy to make, and perfect for a crowd. In fact, this is a salad that they often pull together themselves. I’ll be serving this on Christmas Day!
Try to use as many different tomatoes as you can – red, green, yellow – and different sizes, too. Did you know that there are more than 10, 000 varieties of tomatoes worldwide?
Serve the salad with wedges of lime on the platter so people can squirt it over the top just before tucking in.
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Feta, Mint and Pistachios
- 1 kg watermelon, cut into small triangles
- 2-3 large tomatoes, washed and cut into wedges
- 1 punnet red and yellow cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 150 g Greek feta, cubed
- 1 handful pistachios, shelled and toasted
- 2 large limes zest and juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 handful mint leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Assemble watermelon, tomato and feta on a large platter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Squirt the juice of one lime on top, and sprinkle over the lime, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the mint and pistachios over the top. Add wedges of the second lime to the edge of the platter.
- Serve immediately on its own, or as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish.