Celeriac and leek soup is a mild and comforting soup for cold winter days. Celeriac (also known as celery root) has just come into season, and I picked up one from my local market: https://farmerandson.com.au/ Don’t judge it by its looks! It’s an underrated vegetable as it be used in many ways – boiling, roasting or mashing it with other root vegetables. You can also grate it raw to have in salads, or make a remoulade.
You will have gathered that I’m a fan of soups in winter. I made up a thermos of this soup to drive to my cousin Anna’s farm in the Southern Highlands. This soup has just a few ingredients, but you can make it more elegant if you wish by adding some chopped chives and a swirl of cream just before serving. The cashews give the soup a velvety texture. I’ve made it with vegetable stock, but you can also make it with chicken stock.
Don’t throw out the celeriac stems. You can freeze them to make a vegetable stock, and you can also use the leaves to make pesto: https://atamandastable.com.au/spring-minestrone-with-celeriac-leaf-pesto/
Save the dark green part of the leek for another dish: https://atamandastable.com.au/sauteed-leeks-with-egg-and-dukkah/
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Celeriac and Leek Soup
- 1 celeriac, peeled and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 leek, white part chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 sticks celery, washed and choppped (about 2 cups)
- 1.25 L vegetable stock substitute with chicken stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- cream, to serve
- chives, washed and chopped, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté choppped leeks and celery for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add chopped celeriac and stock, then bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes until the celeriac is soft when pierced with an knife.
- Remove from heat, cool for about 10 minutes, then purée with a hand-held blender.
- Serve with chopped chives and a swirl of cream if you wish.