Creamy corn soup with cashews is such a simple and comforting soup to make, and it takes hardly any time to prepare! Did you know that corn is a good source of fibre? The cashews deliver a beautiful creamy texture to the soup, without the richness of cream or the bulk of potatoes typically used in pureed soups. Plus, cashews are a good source of protein. I’ve made this soup with homemade vegetable stock, but you can easily use chicken stock. I also like to add the cobs when cooking the soup to obtain a little more flavour. Garnish the soup with grated cheese and herbs. I’ve chosen parmesan and parsley. If you want to add another layer of flavour and make the soup a little more substantial, grilled pancetta or prosciutto on top is also delicious.
Do you prefer soup without bits in it, as some of my family members do? Then you might like to try https://atamandastable.com.au/pea-and-mint-sou…d-lettuce-leaves/
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Creamy Corn Soup with Cashews
- 3 cobs corn, kernels removed (approx 450 g kernels) save the cobs for the soup
- 1 leek, washed and sliced substitute with brown onion
- 1/2 cup (90 g) raw cashews
- 1 L vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan substitute with cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsely substitute with chives or rocket
- 100 g grilled prosciutto or pancetta optional
- Warm olive in a medium saucepan, add leeks and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Add the cashews, 2/3 corn kernels, cobs and stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove the cobs. Puree with a hand-held blender.
- Return soup to the stove, add the remaining corn kernels and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste. Garnish with grated cheese and chopped herbs. Serve immediately.