Brown sugar shortbread with walnuts and rosemary is a spin on traditional shortbread. Rosemary and orange zest give the shortbread an aromatic quality, while the walnuts add another layer of texture. I also love the grainy texture of wholemeal spelt flour, so I use it as often as I can when I’m baking. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate the herbs from my garden. This brown sugar shortbread works well with thyme and lemon myrtle, too. You can also use other nuts, such as hazelnuts or almonds.
I’ve been experimenting a lot in the kitchen these past few weeks while we’ve been in social isolation. I confess I have a sweet tooth. This means that I tend to bake things when there are a lot of people at home so that I don’t eat it all myself! With three kids needing breakfast, lunch and dinner, together with snacks in between, there’s been a lot of cooking going on around here! Has it been the same at your place? My kids are returning to school this week, so my daughter and I made a batch of brown sugar shortbread to give to her hard-working teacher.
Brown Sugar Shortbread with Walnuts and Rosemary
- 250 g butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 300 g (2 cups) wholemeal spelt flour
- 30 g (1/4 cup) walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cream butter and suagr until light and fluffy.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until you have a long round log.
- Cut the log in half, and form each round log into an angular rod shape. Wrap each log in plastic and refrigerate for about an hour until the logs are hard.
- Whe you're ready to bake the shortbread, preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and remove the dough from the fridge.
- Cut the logs into thin slices, about 1 cm in thickness.
- Place cut dough onto baking trays lined with baking paper. They will spread out a bit, so give them a bit of space.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown (they will be slightly soft to touch). They will continue to cook a little once you remove them from the oven, and then harden once cooled.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.