I made this delicious salmon and brown rice with lime and sesame from last night’s dinner leftovers. It’s a quick and easy lunch to put together in advance and keep in a thermos if you’re on the go, as the flavours blend together well and there’s no lettuce to go soggy. I’ve used cherry tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers and avocado, but play around with other vegetables such as edamame and steamed snow peas, or steamed broccoli with bean sprouts. Fresh coriander leaves are a lovely substitute for the mint, or add a bit of each! If you prefer a vegetarian option, simply use cubed firm tofu instead of the salmon.
It’s tempting to leave out the red onion, but I urge you not to as it will soften and pickle when left in the acidic lime juice. If this is too sour for you, just add a little sugar (which I’ve done) to the lime juice before marinating the onion. The onion will easily keep in a glass jar in the fridge, as will the dressing for up to a week, so why not make extra to use for another meal?
If you like to use herbs in salads as much as I do, you might like to make the watermelon and tomatoes salad with feta and mint: https://atamandastable.com.au/watermelon-and-t…os-feta-and-mint/
PS: If you’d like to read more, please subscribe to my monthly newsletter for stories, recipes and tips for simple, nutritious meals.
Salmon and Brown Rice Salad with Lime and Sesame
- 1 fillet cold salmon (approx 150 g) substitute with cubed firm tofu
- 1 cup cold cooked brown rice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, washed, sliced lengthways and into 1 cm slices
- 1/2 red onion
- 10 red or yellow cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 handful mint leaves, washed
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, black or white
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Whisk the lime juice and the sugar together in a small bowl.
- Add the onion to the lime juice and sugar and massage the liquid into the slices with your fingers. Set aside.
- Sprinkle a little salt over the halved cherry tomatoes. Set aside.
- Place the brown rice, chopped salmon, cucumber together in a bowl.
- Sppon the avocado over the top with a teaspoon.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the red onion, drained of its liquid. Reserve the liquid for the dressing.
- Whisk together the lime and sugar mixture with the sesame oil. Taste for seasonong. Add freshly ground pepper, and add a little more salt if you think it needs it.
- Pour the dressing over the top and mix everything together gently.
- Sprinkle the mint leaves over the top and serve with lime wedges on the side.